Thursday, December 17, 2009

The Singing Christmas Tree

I've been thinking about taking Isabella to see the Singing Christmas Tree production at Bellevue Baptist Church for some time now, but it seemed something else always came up.

My nephew asked me to take him recently and I told him to sweet talk Tata with the whole "I'm in my formative years... I'm impressionable... I want to learn more... I want to be a better Christian... Don't you want me to be pastor? talk, but apparently she didn't bite, although she did find it hysterical.

Anyway, yesterday afternoon I got a call from my lovely sister-in-law Maria telling me that her boss had offered her 4 free tickets to last night's show. Since she had a church commitment she wasn't able to use them so she asked if maybe Isabella and I would go and take her kids. Well, needless to say I immediately said yes, although in reality I should have stayed home and cleaned and folded laundry and wrapped presents, but that's neither here nor there.

My niece and nephew had seen the show before, but this was Isabella's and my first time. We had fabulous seats right smack in the middle of the fifth row. It's a very nice show with beautiful music and you can definitely tell an enormous amount of work goes into it.

However, the kids did find it to be a bit long (it lasts about 2 1/2 hours). I can honestly say I was fine with the whole thing, except for the part when the senior pastor got up on stage and preached for about 30 minutes. Here's the deal, he's not a bad preacher by any means, but if I wanted to listen/watch him preach I would turn on the TV and watch his televised services or I would visit his church on Sundays. Again, let me say there is absolutely nothing wrong with his preaching, but if by him not doing so we could have gotten out of there 30 minutes earlier, that would have been just great.

So there you have it. I'm glad we went and saw it. Isabella enjoyed most of it, in between the whining and moaning fits she had about being tired/hungry/thirsty/tired and really really really wanting to leave. But I don't necessarily think it'll be something we go to again, at least not for a while. Next on the agenda: Starry Nights at Shelby Farms.

0 comments: