Monday, December 14, 2009

So much to do. So little time.

OK, so where do I start? I think I can honestly say the Butlers are in full Christmas Spirit swing. The tree has been decorated, the Christmas cards ordered and mailed, most of the presents have been purchased (though not yet wrapped), and the activities are keeping us busy busy busy. I love Christmas!

Last week the kids attended their annual Christmas Cookie Decorating party. Our friend Laura hosts this event for all of our children every year and they have the best time. It's fun and it's messy and it's tasty and delicious. Seriously, what's not to love? Look at all these happy faces:
This year we decided to add an ornament exchange to the mix and they loved it! I'm not exactly sure what we'll do next year when all of our older children start Kindergarten and are in school full time, but that's something none of us are willing to talk about. We're all having some serious denial issues.

Also last week, Isabella and I were invited to see a performance of The Nutcraker Ballet at The Orpheum with our good friend, Hannah. Apparently having seen it once when he was young, Scott was more than happy to stay home with Sam. Our girl was SO excited to have a girls night with Mommy and Miss Hannah. And she was even more excited to get all dressed up in her very sparkly black velvet dress.
It was so beautiful ~ the dancing, the music, the costumes ~ and I was loving every second of it. Isabella on the other hand, announced that she was ready to go home within the first 10 minutes of the performance. WHAT?! Luckily, the story line picked up and she got quite interested.
At about 9:30pm Isabella asked if we could go home because she was so tired. So we did. As we were leaving the theater Isabella said: "Guys, I'm really sorry we couldn't stay. I really want to watch it, but I'm so tired that I really want to go home." She is seriously too darn cute! So although we didn't stay until the end, we did get to enjoy quite a bit of it. I'm sure this will be something we'll go to again in the future.

On Friday, Isabella was invited to and attended her first ever slumber party. GULP! My niece was having a slumber party for her 7th Birthday party and Isabella was over the moon excited about spending the night with a bunch of girls and staying up way too late and eating all kinds of junk and sleeping in her brand new Tinkerbell sleeping bag.

My mom and I attended the Hope Women's Christmas dinner that night, but decided to sneak by afterward and check out the action. All I can say is Holy Cow! I think they had a total of 11 girls, but I swear it sounded more like there were about 45. Here's a picture of some of the girls posing with the birthday girl.
God bless my brother and sister-in-law for their bravery in hosting such a terrifying event.

Add to our list of fun our annual visit to Alpine Village. This year we not only had Isabella's cousin, Christian Javier, join us, but she also had some very special surprise guests:
Yep, it's Hudson and his sister Addisyn. She was thrilled to find out that her "bestest friend EVER" would be joining us in Alpine Village. The kids had a blast visiting all the houses in the village and doing all the fun crafts. But their favorite event was without a doubt playing in the "snow", as you can see here:
Who says we don't have snow in Memphis?
And they were especially proud of themselves as they targeted and attacked poor Christian Javier:
That's him, crouching on the floor, loving every second of it.
So to finish out our fun and busy weekend, I decided to take Isabella and her cousins to see this:
OK, so I'm probably in the minority, but I can't say I loved it. The princess is beautiful, the music is wonderful, some of the characters are cute as can be and there are some pretty funny parts, but I had a really hard time with the voodoo stuff being so explicit. Luckily much of it went over the kids' heads, but Isabella did get scared by the shadows (spirits) a couple of times. All in all, it's definitely not my favorite Disney movie.

So there you have it. And to think that I sometimes wonder why I crash the way I do every single night.

0 comments: