Tuesday, August 12, 2008

Step aside Picasso, step aside

So it was a typical afternoon at the Butler home yesterday ~ Sam was taking a nap, Isabella was playing in her bedroom and I had actually snuck away to enjoy some much needed quiet time. Suddenly Isabella ran into the game room and excitedly told me: "Come Mama, come to my room. I want to show you my friends!" The truth is I immediately thought she was talking about her stuffed animals, since that's who she usually refers to when talking about her friends. Well, never in my wildest dreams did I expect to see what was on her chalkboard.

Her first portrait. It was of our family and it was awesome! There we all were: Baby Sam, Daddy, Mama and Isabella. we all had two eyes, a nose, a mouth, two legs and feet (albeit tiny feet), except Isabella also added two arms to her self-portrait. I absolutely love how she made it a point to draw Baby Sam's "crazy hair", as she put it. (If you click on any of the pictures you'll be able to get a much closer look.)

I asked her if it would be OK for me to label each one of us as she walked me through her picture and she eagerly agreed. She even posed proudly next to her masterpiece allowing me the opportunity to take fuss-free pictures.

Our girl never ceases to amaze us. It's quite obvious she loves to draw, color and paint and we're just ecstatic to see her artistic style and creativity develop right before our very eyes. You can bet I immediately got online to research some art classes for our little artist.

2 comments:

Christie said...

I love it! I love how she made Sam so tiny!! Ha Ha. And we all know he is about as big as she is. She looks so proud in the picture also.

Liz said...

Yeah, it kind of gives you an insight as to how she views people's ranks in our family, doesn't it? Poor Sam,...