Monday, March 29, 2010

This weekend

This weekend we spent a whole lot of time at Lowe's
enjoying the fabulous weather, smelling eating the pretty flowers,
and shopping for lots and lots of these here beauties:
And once we had two flat carts full of colorful lovelies, we spent a lot of time working on our yard. My mom came over and helped us clean up the flower/vegetable beds and plant all of our goodies.
In addition to delighting in our beautiful flowers, this year we hope to enjoy lettuce, tomatoes, spinach, garlic, potatoes, peppers, sugar snap peas, onions, scallions, carrots, strawberries, blueberries, pears, plums and grapes ~ all from the comfort of our own backyard! Not to mention the herbs we're growing inside. Talk about locally-grown and fresh. We can't wait!

Not pictured are three Weeping Cherry Trees we got for our backyard ~ two white, one pink. They are STUNNING! I'll make sure to share some pictures as soon as they're in the ground.

**********

This weekend we were able to spend a few hours with our dear friends, the Prosperos, who were here for a soccer tournament. Although we weren't able to spend as much time together as we would have liked, it sure was fun catching up after almost 4 years without seeing each other.

And to say I was shocked to see how big their boys are is a HUGE understatement. This family is so unbelievably special to me. I first met them back in 1995 immediately after graduating from college and upon starting my first real job. We quickly became great friends. Gabe, their oldest, was about Sam's age at the time. The younger two weren't even born yet. I babysat these boys all the time. And now they are all big young men and It. Kills. Me!

**********

This weekend Scott and I finally carved out some time and managed to get caught up with some of our DVR shows and this one was incredibly inspiring:

Scott has been a big fan of Jamie Oliver for a while now. Me not so much. I can honestly say that I am much more so after watching two episodes of his new show. His main goals are to make people healthier, make people cook their own food, and make people spend time together during the process. What's not to love?

**********

This weekend I finished reading this book:
which is officially one of the best books I have ever read. Oh my goodness, it is absolutely amazing! It is a beautiful young adult novel with a heartbreaking subject matter narrated in a very unexpected, yet extremely poetic, way. I definitely recommend it to everyone.

And started this one:
I've only read the first couple chapters, but so far, so good. I'll keep you posted.

This weekend was a really fun weekend!

4 comments:

Michelle said...

Love see all the flowers - we haven't hit that stage yet as we are just now starting to get warmer days. We are going to plant a garden and herbs as well. You'll have to give me pointers and tips since you're ahead of me (weather wise) a little. Plus I've never done it - always wanted to and this is the YEAR!

Also, I watched Jamie's show and it TOTALLY inspired me. It opened my eyes and like you said everything he is wanting us to do is good so why not!

I'll have to try that book. Always looking for a good read!

Rachel said...

Seriously; look at those boys! Oh my gosh!! Is Gabe not Tony all over again? Crazy!!! I am so glad you posted that picture, it's so good to see them!

Liz said...

Hey Michelle, best of luck with your garden. It's really fun to eat what you've planted. Talk about being GREEN!

Rachel, I know, girl. It's CRAZY! And they are all so sweet and funny and grown and well,... it was quite the shocker for me. But it sure was nice getting to catch up, even if it was for a little bit. Oh, and BTW ~ they're SO in for a return trip to PR.

Online Movies said...

Very intersecting stories & post.I really looking forward for them.Keep posting guys.Glad to these posts.